Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Cruise Recap- NCL Pride of America May 2-9 (part 2)

Day 5- Kona

Today was a shopping day. I didn’t have high hopes for Kona, to be honest. But it ended up being a very enjoyable day.

This was our tender day. Another beautiful sunrise




Pics from the Farmers Market

Kona_DM_Day50074-filename Kona_DM_Day50092-filename Kona_DM_Day50103-filename

Pics of the ship


More pics of Kona

Kona_DM_Day50128-filename Kona_DM_Day50131-filename


All aboard was 4:30PM. Overnight sail to Kauai!


Day 6- Kauai ( Nawilliwili)

This was the island I have been waiting for.

I did get a decent picture of the full moon, something like 4AM.


We got up early and had breakfast at the Aloha. Our planned excursion was a trip to Waimea Canyon. It was a beautiful morning to have breakfast on the deck.

Lihue_DB_Day6DSCN6206-0008. Lihue_DB_Day6DSCN6212-0013.

We disembarked, boarded the bus and we were off.  We were fortunate to have the perfect tour guide, Vinny, who grew up and still lives in the area we visted.

First, there was a stop at the Spouting Horn


We then got a chance to preview the scenery that was waiting for us:


We had the perfect day to view the Canyon. Some clouds, which provided interesting shadows and contrasts of the spectacular canyon. There was also less volcanic haze on Kauai .




Some other pics from the day.

Kauai’s red dirt, which makes for some awesome t-shirts.


Got this shot of a chicken (the national bird of Kauai) as he was headed to McD’s to become the next batch of nuggets.


We got back to the ship around 2PM. I decided today would be a beach day, so we changed and we were off to enjoy the sun and the surf.



After dinner, we decided it was time to get away from the overpriced beers on the ship, and stop for six pack of  Fire Rock to enjoy on the beach. It was a great evening!


Day 7- Kauai

This was kind of a sad day as there was the realization that the cruise was almost over. It was a great week. Time literally drug by. I had not picked up a newspaper all week. No Fox or CNN. It was only my Crackberry for phone and email.

All aboard was at 1:30. We were sailing at 2Pm which was going to include a sail by of the Napali coastline.

For me, it was some last minute shopping, then I came back on board to get some pictures of the ship.





I changed into my swimsuit and went top deck for the sailaway. This was our first time to cruise during the day. And it was awesome. Clear skies, cool breezes. And I got cooked!

Lihue_DM_Day7100_6081-0042. Lihue_DM_Day7100_6092-0053. Lihue_DM_Day7100_6094-0055.

The Napali sail by was scheduled for 5PM, so I went down and showered, anxious for this sailby. We were fortunate to have a port side balcony room as we had a perfect view and didnt have to fight for spots on the deck. This was the highlight of the trip. The ship made a turaround which made having a port balcony room even better. We were closer to the shore and slowed down in speed. Once the turnaround was done, we stayed a further distance from the shore and sped up)

So many pictures to go thru, here a few:

Lihue_DB_Day7DSCN6436-0032. Lihue_DB_Day7DSCN6439-0034. Lihue_DB_Day7DSCN6451-0046. Lihue_DB_Day7DSCN6461-0056.

A great day, and great trip was coming to an end. I was hoping to get some great pics of the sunset

HNL_DB_Day8DSCN6504-0005. HNL_DB_Day8DSCN6519-0019.


Enjoyed dinner, then went down to get our bags packed since we had to have them out by midnight. I was cooked, literally. And for the first time, I was experiencing a bit of nausea. I did not sleep well that night. The fact that this dream vacation was soon going to be over did not help.


Day 7- Honolulu

Sunrise over Oahu.  It’s coming to an end :-(

HNL_DB_Day8DSCN6524-0024. HNL_DB_Day8DSCN6547-0044. HNL_DB_Day8DSCN6549-0046.

We docked in Honolulu at 8PM. After an early breakfast, we went down to disembark. It went very smooth and quickly.

Our excursion for the day was the tour of the Arizona and Missouri.

HNL_DB_Day8DSCN6578-0070. HNL_DB_Day8DSCN6593-0085.

HNL_DB_Day8DSCN6615-0105. HNL_DM_Day8100_6226-0059.

After the Missouri, the driver took us up into the mountains north and east of HNL. There was saw the only rain on the entire trip.

HNL_DB_Day8DSCN6651-0133. HNL_DB_Day8DSCN6658-0138.

We drove back down thru the Punchbowl and got to see more of HNL.

HNL_DB_Day8DSCN6674-0149. HNL_DB_Day8DSCN6673-0148.


We arrived at the airport around 4PM, for our 9:30PM flight back to Houston. It had been a busy week, and while I was not that tired during the week, it was beginning to catch up with me.  We had some dinner, did some more shopping, and then it really did catch up with me. I also knew that it was going to be a long flight home and a long day the following day.

We boarded and left on time. I dont think I remember anything until I saw the sunrise coming thru when we were over Arizona.

We landed in Houston at 9:30 CDT. Our flight to Charleston left at 12:30 CDT, and we arrived at 4:3o EST. From that point, we loaded the car for the four hour trip to Dayton to pick up the dogs, and then the hour drive to Columbus.

We got  home around 2AM.

I was up by 7AM. Reality is enjoying your Kona coffee in Ohio, then getting a call to let you know that your job has been eliminated.

No comments: